September 7, 2012

First "La Citrouille" food blog post: Apple-chokeberry jam!

Hi everybody,

Welcome to read my first ever blog post! La citrouelle (Eng. Pumpkin) blogs mainly about cooking and baking. I also want to share some knowledge about wines and things that inspire me.

What is inspires me at the moment is the current season: The autumn. Today I wanted to prepare something sweet and homely, yet not so common jam - from apples and chokeberries. Might sound a bit scary, but I am really looking forward to enjoying it with yoghourt, porridge and toast!

I began with preparing the berries and apples. I peeled and chopped 500 grams apples ( I used cultivars Malus Domestica and "Huvitus") and put them into a kettel with about 400 grams of chokeberries and one decilitre of water.




I boiled them for 15 minutes with gentle heat, mashed them with a mixer and added 1,5 deciletres of jam sugar. I continued boiling the jam for 10 minutes. Finally I poured the jam to empty disinfected cans.




And that's what the jam looks like! (sorry for the dark picture)

And the taste is... delicate, bit tangy and surprisingly refined. I recommend for you to try the recipe!

PS. It is good to keep the cans refrigereted after the jam has cooled in the cans.

No comments:

Post a Comment